GERMANTOWN, TN- (WMC-TV) - Some Germantown residents will notice their mail looking a little bit different Tuesday.
A fire extinguisher burst at a post office sending a white substance into the air, which ended up covering mail bound for zip codes 38138 and 38139.
"We had a fire extinguisher that malfunctioned, that burst, and it dispersed a white film over all of the mail," said David Walton with USPS. "I'm not just talking a couple of trays. It got all over the mail."
According to post office officials, the non-hazardous residue on the mail has been deemed safe by the local Poison Control Center.
If you have any additional concerns about your mail, call the Postal Inspection Service Hotline at 1-877-876-2455.
Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.