School supply giveaway a success |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
More than 1,200 kids went back to school today with the school supplies they needed thanks to a Mid-South church's helping hands. 650 children received free backpacks and supplies Saturday at the Raleigh Church of Christ Community Center. 600 others got stuffed backpacks at LaRose Elementary, Agape's FIT Bent Tree Apartment tutoring program, and Agape's Powerlines ministry program at Ashton Hills Apartments.
Volunteers from the Memphis Urban Ministry and Highland Church of Christ donated money to purchase almost $20,000 worth of supplies for the kids. During the weeks leading up to the giveaway, volunteers opened boxes and stuffed backpacks or prepared for the Raleigh giveaway.
The groups have given away school supplies for those in need for more than 20 years.
Top Germantown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- County property tax hike proposal fires up commissioners, homeowners
- Fans gather for second round of St. Jude Classic
- Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church to host 30th National Oratorial Festival
- Action News 5's Andrew Douglas cohost for Memphis Training Camp for Dads on June 15
- Collierville's Sunset on the Square Concert Series Starts Thursday June 6th
- Sudden storm sweeps through Shelby Co., more showers possible
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action