'Great Cupcake Giveaway' benefits Mid-South Food Bank | Business
Gigi’s Cupcakes has teamed up with Mid-South Food Bank to hold a food drive with a sweet return.
On Friday, Dec. 14 from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m., Gigi’s Cupcakes will invite customers to bring at least three nonperishable food items to any of the four Gigi’s locations and exchange their donation for a free gourmet cupcake.
Gigi’s Cupcakes owner Marilyn Weber said this is the second annual Great Cupcake Giveaway to benefit Mid-South Food Bank and to raise awareness of food insecurity in the greater Memphis Area.
Gigi’s Cupcakes of Memphis donates to numerous schools, nonprofits and community fundraisers throughout the year, but opportunities that focus on making food abundant and accessible to all Memphians and Mid Southerners exemplifies the heart of the local bakery’s mission.
“We are so grateful for each and every customer who walks through our doors, but at the same time we realize there is a growing population in the Mid-South who could never afford to visit our shops. I just feel we should use our cupcake shops as a way to support those who are making tough decisions about food, shelter and the welfare of their families," said Weber.
Mid-South Food Bank collects and distributes food to agencies that support over 200,000 needy people.
“When cold weather comes, the need for wholesome food increases because families and seniors have to make tough choices for other necessities of life like heat. Our agencies will see more clients and will distribute more food," said President and CEO of the Food Bank Estella H. Mayhue-Greer.
Gigi’s has also teamed up with The Q 107.5 Morning Crew to broadcast live on Dec. 14, starting at 6 a.m. so people can grab their free cupcake during the early drive to work.
“It’s going to be an event with games, prizes and tons of fun," said Weber.
"We want everyone to come join in the party, donate food and grab a delicious free cupcake for being so generous," she said.
Gigi’s Cupcakes are located in East Memphis at 4709 Poplar, in Germantown at 9077 Poplar, in Midtown at 1680 Union Ave and in Cordova at 2200 N. Germantown Pkwy.
Top Germantown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Board of Mayor and Aldermen presents budget for C-Ville
- County property tax hike proposal fires up commissioners, homeowners
- Fans gather for second round of St. Jude Classic
- Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church to host 30th National Oratorial Festival
- Action News 5's Andrew Douglas cohost for Memphis Training Camp for Dads on June 15
- Sudden storm sweeps through Shelby Co., more showers possible
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action