City schedules events at Farm Park | Events
Germantown’s newest park is officially open for visitors. The Bobby Lanier Farm Park opened to the public on June 20, with a summer solstice celebration. Visitors enjoyed cooking demonstrations, garden talks, farm animals, garden tours and a lemonade stand.
The farm park is the city’s education and demonstration center for sustainable living through agriculture and stewardship. The park is an example of the City’s progressive and forward thinking land conservation strategy. There are opportunities for everyone to enjoy the new park.
Families are invited to participate in garden tours and talks, nature walks, “Wildlife Wednesdays” with a guest naturalist and Park Rangers, “Meet the Farmer Thursdays” with guest farmers, “Discovery Fridays” featuring special activities for children and self guided storybook walks for preschoolers on Saturdays.
For those interested in gardening, a 60-member community garden association supports the 10-acre working farm. Members pay a fee and work a minimum of two hours per week to participate in the harvest. Registration for the 2012 growing season has been completed. An interest list for the next season is being developed for potential new members who are interested in gardening, access to healthy food, community service and stewardship. Experienced gardeners and newcomers are welcome.
Access to the park is shared by the Cloyes Soccer Fields entrance off Stout Road on the west side of Germantown Elementary School, 2740 Cross Country. With high heat indexes, little rain and no indoor facilities at the park, public hours for the summer months have been modified to accommodate visitors comfort and safety:
- Monday- closed
- Tuesday through Friday - 8 a.m. to noon and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday - 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Sunday - 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Call the Parks and Recreation office at 757-7375 for more information.
Information provided by the City of Germantown.
Top Germantown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- County property tax hike proposal fires up commissioners, homeowners
- Fans gather for second round of St. Jude Classic
- Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church to host 30th National Oratorial Festival
- Action News 5's Andrew Douglas cohost for Memphis Training Camp for Dads on June 15
- Collierville's Sunset on the Square Concert Series Starts Thursday June 6th
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp