Three sent to hospital after shopping center carbon monoxide leak | News
(WMC-TV) - A Germantown shopping center was evacuated Wednesday afternoon and three people were taken to the hospital due to a carbon monoxide leak.
The problem was reported by someone at Baskin Robbins, which is one of the shops housed in the complex.
Firefighters responded to a report that a group of people in the same building all felt ill.
"Turned out to be a carbon monoxide leak in the building," said Germantown Fire Department Fire Chief John Selberg. "We ended up transporting three to the hospital, had them checked out."
Fire Chief Selberg said the source of the leak was a water heater located behind the Chili's restaurant. Carbon monoxide was spewing from the heater and was sucked inside by air conditioning units.
Nine businesses were evacuated due to the leak.
"It was up in the 200 parts per million range, which is considered pretty high for CO," said Selberg. "We'll get it down to virtually nothing before we leave."
Action News 5's Nick Kenney reports that the shopping center is already back to business.
The people taken to the hospital are expected to be just fine.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.